QI of Beckley, West Virginia, U.S.A.
Quota Cares Month—Honorable Mention Winner
The Beckley Quota club collaborated with local high school students to help teenaged residents of a counseling center in their community. Club members and students worked together to create an “island paradise” complete with Caribbean cuisine, tropical drinks, live island music provided by the students, and travel information researched and presented by students. Quota members served as hostesses and offered recruitment information to guests, who arrived with donations of luggage for the counseling center. Teens normally arrive at the counseling center home with belongings in cardboard boxes or plastic trash bags. The donated luggage, totes, and backpacks will afford some dignity to youth in crisis.
The project allowed the students to learn public speaking, island geography, and the importance of community service while allowing club members a chance to perform hands-on service with young people. The substantial donation of luggage to the counseling center forged a new relationship with the Quota club that will involve more service in the future. The successful event also attracted five potential recruits to the club.
To read the club’s winning application, click here.
Back to Quota Cares Month Winners Main Page
*To view or print out these documents, you will need Adobe Acrobat Reader. Go to Adobe’s Web site and download a free copy of Acrobat Reader.
We Share Foundation Programs
- Community Champions
- JQ (Junior Quota) Club Program
- Cops ‘n’ Kids Literacy Program
- Healthy Hearing “Ear Plugs” Campaign
- “Listen Up, Turn It Down” Campaign
- Quota World Service Public Awareness Campaign
- Quota Cares Month Campaign
- Volunteer of the Year
- Club Publicity Resources and Tools
- Polish and Shine News Release Service
- Protect Your Hearing Month
- Global Youth Service Network
- Quota Service Project Directories
- Quota Cares Teddy Bears
- 2001-2012 Photo Contest Winners
- Setting Up 501(c)(3) Status (U.S. clubs)
Donate to the We Share Foundation
Questions? Contact firstname.lastname@example.org