QI of Manila South
Vocational Education for Hearing-Impaired Students
Students at the Philippine School for the Deaf (PSD) face numerous challenges. Only a very few will go on to college after graduation, so most of these underprivileged youth need vocational training in order to make a living. However, inadequate state funding leaves them to prepare for today’s workforce using dilapidated, obsolete equipment. As a result, their chances of becoming independent wage-earners, especially in the current economic crisis, are significantly reduced.
In 2008, the Manila South Quota club began to increase the possibility of employment by upgrading the equipment in PSD’s vocational education program. The club focused that year on the information technology program and created an up-to-date computer lab. They upgraded the 12 existing computers and also acquired 12 new ones, outfitting them all with current software and accessories. After installing air conditioning in the lab, the club also interlinked the computers, so the teacher could easily assist students with lessons.
In 2009-2011, the club is focused on the woodworking program and plans to upgrade the workshop to meet today’s standards. The club will repair or replace numerous woodworking tools and machines and sponsor vocational training offered in the workshop.
All donations from the We Share Foundation’s Club-to-Club World Service program will be used to purchase or repair woodworking equipment and tools.
- If you wish to donate to this project, please click here.
- To read about Manila South’s 2009-2010 Club-to-Club accomplishments, click here*.
- To learn more about Philippines, click here.
- To return to the Club-to-Club World Service page, click here.
We Share Foundation Programs
- Community Champions
- JQ (Junior Quota) Club Program
- Cops ‘n’ Kids Literacy Program
- Healthy Hearing “Ear Plugs” Campaign
- “Listen Up, Turn It Down” Campaign
- Quota World Service Public Awareness Campaign
- Quota Cares Month Campaign
- Volunteer of the Year
- Club Publicity Resources and Tools
- Polish and Shine News Release Service
- Protect Your Hearing Month
- Global Youth Service Network
- Quota Service Project Directories
- Quota Cares Teddy Bears
- 2001-2012 Photo Contest Winners
- Setting Up 501(c)(3) Status (U.S. clubs)
Donate to the We Share Foundation
Questions? Contact firstname.lastname@example.org