QI of Legazpi-Mayon
Stitch for a Living
The Bicol region is one of the poorest areas in the Philippines. In the current economic crisis, conditions have grown worse, especially for women seeking a way to provide for their families. For hearing and speech-impaired women, job prospects today are almost non-existent because of a general perception that their disability prevents them from learning any skills.
Stitch for a Living, the vocational training program developed by Quota International of Legazpi-Mayon in 2006, is working to change the situation. The program has already transformed the lives of entire families in Bicol by providing women with a viable way to earn money. In each session, 28 women, youth to adult, all with speech and hearing impairments and all from extreme poverty, learn sewing and dressmaking skills.
The Quota club then loans each participant a sewing machine that she uses to complete paid work organized by the club. Her earnings during this training phase are higher than the average wage of a domestic worker in Bicol, allowing her to help her family and repay the club for the machine in small monthly installments. At the end of one year, each woman owns her own machine and launches a home-based business as a seamstress.
Donations to Stitch for a Living pay for sewing machines, fabric and supplies for sewing, and materials for packaging the items to sell. The club hopes to expand the scope of the project to include women in other parts of Bicol in 2009-2011.
- If you wish to donate to this project, please click here.
- To read about Legazpi-Mayons 2009-2010 Club-to-Club accomplishments, click here*.
- To learn more about Philippines, click here.
- To return to the Club-to-Club World Service page, click here.
We Share Foundation Programs
- Community Champions
- JQ (Junior Quota) Club Program
- Cops ‘n’ Kids Literacy Program
- Healthy Hearing “Ear Plugs” Campaign
- “Listen Up, Turn It Down” Campaign
- Quota World Service Public Awareness Campaign
- Quota Cares Month Campaign
- Volunteer of the Year
- Club Publicity Resources and Tools
- Polish and Shine News Release Service
- Protect Your Hearing Month
- Global Youth Service Network
- Quota Service Project Directories
- Quota Cares Teddy Bears
- 2001-2012 Photo Contest Winners
- Setting Up 501(c)(3) Status (U.S. clubs)
Donate to the We Share Foundation
Questions? Contact firstname.lastname@example.org