QI of Las Piñas
Improving a Local Hospital’s Pediatric Ward
Women delivering babies at Las Piñas General Hospital face a Spartan experience at best. In the barebones facility without air conditioning, a new mother rests on the floor, separated from the hard cement by nothing more than a sheet of cardboard and a native floor mat. Then, she takes her newborn home without benefit of a simple blood test to screen for congenital disorders.
In 2005, the Las Piñas Quota club improved conditions with 20 steel beds. Two years later, they adopted the ward as a club service target and provided some much needed medical equipment. In 2009, the club launched a concerted effort through the We Share Foundation’s Club-to-Club World Service program to improve the facility and the care afforded babies born in the “Quota International of Las Piñas Pediatric Ward.”
Club-to-Club donations will cover medical supplies and equipment for the pediatric ward and help the club create a nursery and an air-conditioned room for newborns and their parents. Most importantly, donations will help establish newborn blood screening for every child born in the hospital. The simple procedure requires a few drops of blood from a newborn’s heel to test for hereditary diseases that can lead to death or mental retardation if left untreated.
- If you wish to donate to this project, please click here.
- To read about Las Piñas’ 2009-2010 Club-to-Club accomplishments, click here*.
- To learn more about Philippines, click here.
- To return to the Club-to-Club World Service page, click here.
We Share Foundation Programs
- Community Champions
- JQ (Junior Quota) Club Program
- Cops ‘n’ Kids Literacy Program
- Healthy Hearing “Ear Plugs” Campaign
- “Listen Up, Turn It Down” Campaign
- Quota World Service Public Awareness Campaign
- Quota Cares Month Campaign
- Volunteer of the Year
- Club Publicity Resources and Tools
- Polish and Shine News Release Service
- Protect Your Hearing Month
- Global Youth Service Network
- Quota Service Project Directories
- Quota Cares Teddy Bears
- 2001-2012 Photo Contest Winners
- Setting Up 501(c)(3) Status (U.S. clubs)
Donate to the We Share Foundation
Questions? Contact firstname.lastname@example.org