QI of Kuala Lumpur
Empowerment Program for Disadvantaged and Abused Women
Crimes against women are on the rise in Malaysia. While the numbers of reported cases of domestic violence, rape, incest, and abuse against women are increasing rapidly, the number of unreported cases remains great. Most victims suffer in silence, believing the situation is their fate in life or fearing the news would cause their families to “lose face.”
Since 2006, the Kuala Lumpur Quota club has collaborated with the Women’s Aid Organization (WAO) of Malaysia to help women escape violence and abuse through an empowerment program designed to provide emotional support and build self-esteem. Battered women, unwed mothers, migrant domestic workers, and trafficked women gain a new lease on life through therapy, skills classes, and recreation in the safe environment of the WAO shelter.
The program includes classes in conversational English, sewing, baking, computers, jewelry making, art, knitting, crocheting, yoga, and dancing. While therapeutic, the training is also practical and relevant as the women prepare to make a living independently. In 2009-2011, the program will offer some of the women professional training in areas such as baking, sewing, and handicrafts to augment their earning power.
Several program graduates have been able to launch small businesses through start-up loans from Kuala Lumpur Quota. Whether a woman wants to hawk noodles from a street stall or operate a taxi service, Club-to-Club donations help provide the seed capital for her to take that first bold step into freedom.
- If you wish to donate to this project, please click here.
- To read about Kuala Lumpur’s 2009-2010 Club-to-Club accomplishments, click here*.
- To learn more about Malaysia, click here.
- To return to the Club-to-Club World Service page, click here.
We Share Foundation Programs
- Community Champions
- JQ (Junior Quota) Club Program
- Cops ‘n’ Kids Literacy Program
- Healthy Hearing “Ear Plugs” Campaign
- “Listen Up, Turn It Down” Campaign
- Quota World Service Public Awareness Campaign
- Quota Cares Month Campaign
- Volunteer of the Year
- Club Publicity Resources and Tools
- Polish and Shine News Release Service
- Protect Your Hearing Month
- Global Youth Service Network
- Quota Service Project Directories
- Quota Cares Teddy Bears
- 2001-2012 Photo Contest Winners
- Setting Up 501(c)(3) Status (U.S. clubs)
Donate to the We Share Foundation
Questions? Contact firstname.lastname@example.org