R3 – Shay Gebauer
Quota International of Sioux City, Iowa, USA (District 7)
What are your qualifications for the position of Quota Regional Director?
- Member of Sioux City Quota since 1990
- President 2002
- Governor of District 7, 2006-2008
- Served on Quota International World Service Committee 2008
- Have attended and participated in Area Meetings and International Conventions
- Currently serve as Parliamentarian, Co-Chair of Community Service, Membership Directory
- Have helped start two Junior Quota (JQ) Clubs for middle school students
- Named Woman of Excellence in Sioux City
- I am outspoken, but diplomatic, and feel I have the necessary abilities to hear all sides of a debate and bring consensus
- My experiences as past governor will be important for the first term of this new position
What are your goals for your specific region?
- Maintain current club membership, and grow each club
- Bring Districts 7 and 22 together with mutual goals and fiscal responsibility
- Encourage clubs to start a JQ Club(s) in their community
- If successful in chartering JQ within the Club’s community, encourage Clubs to begin JQ Clubs in areas near their club – this may be the key to starting new adult Clubs
- Encourage communication within the clubs, new region, and communities
- Encourage publicity through traditional media and social media to spread the awareness of Quota and our service projects
What do you do outside of Quota?
- Work with my husband, Jeff, in his financial planning business: Investment Planners of South Dakota
- Volunteer with the Siouxland Humane Society in fundraising and pet adoption
- Member and past Woman of the Year, Beta Sigma Phi, Iowa Mu
- Volunteer, Past Board Member/Officer, Council on Sexual Assault & Domestic Violence, Sioux City
- Past Board Member, and 10 gallon blood donor, LifeServe Blood Bank
- 25 year volunteer and certified instructor with the American Red Cross
- Enjoy time with family: especially my 6 outstanding grandchildren
What else would you like to share with the members of your region?
Since my teens I’ve served in a variety of leadership positions within my community:
Grand Worthy Advisor of Iowa Rainbow, River-Cade Royalty, Resident Assistant and Student Government Representative at Morningside College.
The basis of my commitment to service started early, and continues to be foremost in my daily life. This is why I am passionate about the JQ Clubs – I truly believe we are shaping the world by mentoring these outstanding students. They are the future of Quota, or other volunteer service organizations.
Quota has made me a better person – I’d like to give back by serving as Region 3 Director.