Quota Townsville, Townsville, Queensland, Australia
Community Service in our Townsville Quota Club had become rather disappointing until Ruth Banks recently became a member. With tireless energy she investigated the problem and made amazing changes. She has achieved so much that it is simpler to list her achievements:
- Checked over all former activities list and developed a questionnaire survey – put to all Quota members to find out what they were interested in doing now.
- A new list was made up reflecting what members prefer to do now, in order of preference and this feedback was provided to them.
- Visited Townsville hospital NICU Unit for premature babies to find out what they needed now. As a result specially designed and sewn jackets and little pillows were made by Quota members and given to the Unit.
- Visited Social work department at the hospital to find out what was needed in Emergency Packs for people attending in Emergency at the Hospital. 10 items were identified to be put in each bag
- Found the cheapest places to source these from.
- Arranged for members to make more bags and to pack them at Working Bees at her own house and delivered these to the SW Department.
- Found out that recent magazines were needed for people to read when waiting for appointments so asked members to bring magazines to meetings and then a Quota sticker put on each magazine and delivered to the hospital.
- Visited a Women’s Shelter to provide unwanted toiletry items previously collected by Quota for the use of women there.
- Delivered knitted teddies made by Quota to this Shelter for children taken there in crisis
- Found out that School Uniforms for children in crisis were needed and will get Quota to pay for, find and deliver uniforms to the Shelter
- Organised rosters for Quota to sell items at request of Cancer Council in shopping centres
- Organised roster for Quota to continue calling Bingo at an Aged Care Home and surveyed members to see if anyone could provide extra service during the week.
- On a weekly basis attends Red Cross Accommodation Centre for people needing to stay for outpatient treatment at the hospital or who have very ill relatives there. These people are from remote areas of Queensland who have to stay in Townsville often for extended periods. Ruth provides Art therapy by teaching people how to paint pictures – which helps them get a break from the stress they are under.
- Is being trained to work one afternoon a week on Reception at this Red Cross Centre on a voluntary basis
- Has taught people how to paint pictures at Carers Queensland function as therapy for those who are caring for others. Has been asked to do this also for Ronald McDonald House where mothers of seriously ill children stay, often for long periods.
Hours of voluntary work by the club have increased dramatically as a result of Ruth’s efforts and Ruth herself continues to volunteer in many areas of our community. We are so proud to have her in our Townsville club and feel she is indeed worthy of Quota’s Volunteer of the Year Award.